IF you have... Diabetes
...as you learn about Diabetes and what it can do to your body, and how to manage Diabetes so you and your family can live full & productive lives.
...by three hours (2 DVDs) of Diabetes video education.
You will gain Diabetes knowledge.“If You Have…Diabetes” is a comprehensive 180-minute, 2-DVD program designed to fully educate newly diagnosed (or previously diagnosed) persons with Type I or Type II Diabetes.
You will receive a Diabetes Education.You’ll meet real people who are battling Diabetes. You’ll meet top medical experts sharing critical knowledge on Diabetes, how and why it affects your body, and how to effectively manage the disease.
You will learn about Diabetes treatment & management.The health system focuses on helping people AFTER serious problems arise. These problems may have been building for years. This DVD will empower patients to help themselves BEFORE they get into trouble, BEFORE they have life altering complications, and BEFORE irreversible damage is done.
|These DVDs have the potential to touch every person with Diabetes. I hope and pray that they will.
|J. Brash, person with Diabetes
Can you imagine watching your loved one suffer a stroke, then watch them painfully living the rest of their life incapacitated?
The World Health Organization (WHO) states that over 80% of Diabetes is preventable or treatable with lifestyle measures alone. Diabetes education and self-management is critical.
Can you imagine watching your child go blind from Diabetes?
“A life of protracted ill-health is not inevitable. Chronic disease prevention and control helps people to live longer and healthier lives.” (WHO)
Can you imagine being told that BOTH of your legs need to be amputated above the knee due to complications of Diabetes?
All of these scenarios would be devastating. But this suffering can potentially be avoided if you have the right information, presented the right way, at the right time.
|I cannot stress enough the impact this video will have upon a person’s health.|
|A. Spak, MD|
Each of the following DVD chapters is clear & compelling... a potent mix of experience, knowledge and motivation!
- What is Diabetes. Understand how your body converts food to glucose (blood sugar, fuel) and what happens when you lose the ability to regulate glucose levels.
- Take it seriously. Denial is a dangerous thing. You may feel well now, but it is important to properly manage your Diabetes before it ravages your body.
- Risk factors. Understand who is at risk for developing Diabetes.
- Diagnosis symptoms. You will understand and recognized typical symptoms of Diabetes.
- Pre Diabetes. Persons at risk may develop pre-Diabetes before they ultimately develop frank Diabetes (type II).
- Effective management. Persons with Diabetes must become well-informed, active participants to optimize their health.
- How to monitor your glucose. Using a home glucose meter to self-monitor Diabetes control.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis. How to recognize and manage common complication of Diabetes.
- Hypogllycemia. How to prevent, recognize, and treat low blood glucose.
- Blood pressure. How to self-monitor other risk factors for the development of heart disease. Understand blood pressure targets for a person with Diabetes.
- Monitoring cholesterol. Understand cholesterol targets for a person with Diabetes.
- Doctor's visits.... and how to make the most of them.
- Controlling my Diabetes. What can you really do about it? Lots. Understand the importance of lifestyle modification (nutrition therapy, exercise therapy, weight optimization, smoking cessation) to live longer and healthier.
- Nutrition therapy. Understand what, when, and how much to eat. Understand how dietary intake affects blood glucose.
- Exercise therapy. Understand the importance of adopting an enjoyable, active lifestyle.
- Smoking & Diabetes. Persons with Diabetes who smoke dramatically increase their risk for heart attack and stroke. Understand the importance of smoking cessation. Help and medication are available.
- Providing support for a loved one. Friends and family members of persons with Diabetes can help, and you’ll learn how.
- Dealing with your diagnosis. Learn how to cope with a chronic disease.
You will learn about the consequences of uncontrolled Diabetes:
- Diabetic retinopathy. Diabetes is a leading cause of blindness in the developed world.
- Heart attack. Diabetes is a major risk factor for the development of heart attack and stroke.
- Kidney failure. Diabetes is a major risk factor for the development of kidney failure.
- Nerve damage. Diabetes causes nerve damage and chronic pain.
- Erectile dysfunction. Diabetes is a common cause of erectile dysfunction, and the DVD shows treatment and management.
- Diabetic foot. Diabetes is a common cause of loss of limb.
Viewing these DVDs could literally save your life!
Absorb years of learning by world-renowned specialists in the comfort of your home.
- Future of Diabetes. Understand that research is ongoing and new developments are emerging on Diabetes prevention, treatment and care.
- Juvenile Diabetes. Understand the issues unique to children and adolescents with Diabetes.
- Gestational Diabetes. Understand issues unique to gestational Diabetes (Diabetes during pregnancy).
- Body Mass Index. Determine your ideal weight using the Body Mass Index (BMI).
- Waist circumference. Understand how to properly measure waist circumference and what is advisable for men and women.
- Protecting your feet. Learn how to prevent Diabetes-related foot complications that may lead to loss of limb.
- Islet cell transplant. Learn how the Edmonton Protocol for islet cell transplantation holds promise for persons with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Meditation. Enjoy the soothing visuals and unique music is this special section.
|Our hope is that one day this video will be available to all persons with Diabetes, their families and their caregivers.”|
|W. Brash, parent
This video, produced by Eyelearner associate Malcom Carter and Alpyn Health Education Inc., was nominated as a finalist for the Freddie Awards, an international health and medical media awards program for excellence in Diabetes programming.
Every single person with Diabetes and their family members should watch these DVDs.These three hours will educate, motivate and empower...
Whether a person is newly diagnosed or living with the disease for years – this is critical information that could save their life.